I have finished the mini Seaweeds! They only took a few hours to make and are really cute. They’re not perfect, far from it, but for a first time adapting an adult size sock into a baby size one, I think I’ve done pretty well.
Now the details. It’s an almost to the letters adaption of the pattern I’ve used for the adult size. It did involved a little bit of math to get the right-ish numbers for the gusset and heel flap.
Knowing what I know now, there is a couple of things I would do differently. First, the toes. They are way too pointy. My boy’s got flat, wide toes. I cast on 14 stitches and increased to 34, which is not quite right. I’ll keep that in mind for the next pair: I will do a couple of increases, if at all (and cast on more stitches)…
Also, I chose to go for 2 repeats of the seaweeds pattern across the instep ((2 x 8st) +1) and it is a bit narrow. I should have done a ((2 x 9st) +1) one and it would have been better. Or I could have used bigger needles.
For the gusset, I increased by 6 x 2st every other rows, bringing the total of stitches for the sole at 29st. I turned the heel by increasing to 33st, then I decreased to 15st and started the lace pattern.
If you want the precise numbers, just let me know. I’ve got them written down. But what I did was pretty simple.
Let’s use the gusset increases. At this point in the adult pattern, we’ve got 55st and I’ve got 29 st. For the first increase in the adult version, I need to knit 37st, so I did:
(37 x 29) / 55 = 20 stitches (rounded)
I used the same method to come up with all the numbers I needed. And it worked perfectly fine. I will definitely adapt more adult patterns this way.